Washington, D.C. – In a series of short videos released today, U.S. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) explained how the Graham-Cassidy bill will devastate rural Nevada’s communities and leave tens of millions of Americans, including over 243,000 Nevadans, without health care.
“Graham-Cassidy presents Nevada with a false choice that takes our state backwards. The Graham-Cassidy bill is the worst version of Trumpcare we’ve seen yet and pits the most vulnerable in our state against one another. In attempting to pass it without the support of a single Democrat, Republicans have derailed bipartisan efforts to improve our health care system. Graham-Cassidy would not only reverse Governor Sandoval’s expansion of Medicaid, it would bankrupt our state government. This bill would restrict access to maternity care, raise prescription drug prices, and deny mental health as well as substance abuse treatment services to Nevadans. Republicans must stop trying to strip health care from millions of Americans and instead work with Democrats in a bipartisan way to lower health care costs for working people. I urge all Nevadans to speak out and call each member of our congressional delegation to make their voice heard.”
Press may find Senator Cortez Masto’s reaction to Graham-Cassidy for broadcast below:
Background on Graham-Cassidy’s Devastating Impact on Nevada:
- Graham-Cassidy will take away the health coverage of 243,000 Nevadans under Governor Sandoval’s Medicaid expansion.
- The bill will strip Nevada of as much as $2 billion in federal funds by 2027.
- Graham-Cassidy will increase premiums and lower the quality of health coverage for thousands of Nevadans.
- The bill allows insurers to once again discriminate against Americans with pre-existing conditions.
- This could prevent up to an estimated 1.2 million Nevadans, including 158,000 children with pre-existing conditions, from getting the coverage they need.
- Graham-Cassidy will defund critical mental health, substance abuse, and maternal care programs, including Planned Parenthood.
- The bill will take away health care from 32 million Americans, including over 243,000 Nevadans.
- Graham-Cassidy threatens the health care of 638,000 Nevadans covered under Medicaid.
- The bill will disrupt health care delivery at community health centers and rural hospitals by driving out insurers and raising costs.