As a United States Senator, I have the extraordinary honor and privilege to recommend a limited number of Nevada’s most gifted individuals for selection to the United States Service Academies (the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and U.S. Military Academy). Upon graduation, cadets earn a Bachelor of Science and a commission as an officer in the U.S. military with a 5-year active duty service obligation.
*The Coast Guard Academy does not require nominations and you can contact the USCGA Admissions Office for details on the application process.
Service Academy Applicant Requirements
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Be a legal resident of the State of Nevada;
- Not be married, pregnant, and must have no legal obligations to support any dependents; and
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 23rd birthday by July 1 of the year of admission.
- Candidates for admission to the Merchant Marine Academy must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 25th birthday by July 1 of the year of admission.
If you have questions, please contact my office.
Nomination Process Due Dates
- Tuesday, October, 31, 2023
- Applications and documents must be uploaded or received (not postmarked) in the office by this date.
- Late applications are not accepted.
- Academy Nomination Interview Day – TBD
Required items for application submission
- Office Application
- Essays: As instructed in the online application
- Two letters of recommendation:
- As instructed in the online application
- High school students: Current Teacher (Math, Athletic Coach, or Extracurricular Advisor)
- College/Prep School students: Current professor (Math, Athletic Coach, or Extracurricular Advisor)
- Currently enlisted service members: Math, Athletic Coach, Extracurricular Advisor, or unit commander
- High school/College transcripts:
- Follow instructions in online application
- Weighted and unweighted grade point average (through junior year with courses in progress for senior year) and your class ranking
- College/Prep School students: High school transcripts and most recent college transcripts.
- Standardized ACT/SAT scores