As a United States Senator, I have the extraordinary honor and privilege to recommend a limited number of Nevada’s most gifted individuals for selection to the United States Service Academies (the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and U.S. Military Academy). Upon graduation, cadets earn a Bachelor of Science and a commission as an officer in the U.S. military with a 5-year active duty service obligation.
*The Coast Guard Academy does not require nominations and you can contact the USCGA Admissions Office for details on the application process.
Service Academy Applicant Requirements:
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Be a legal resident of the State of Nevada;
- Not be married, pregnant, and must have no legal obligations to support any dependents; and
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 23rd birthday by July 1 of the year of admission. Candidates for admission to the Merchant Marine Academy must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 25th birthday by July 1 of the year of admission.
Nomination Process Due Dates:
Wednesday, October 31, 2018 by 5:00pm PT
Applications must be received (not postmarked) in the office by this date.
*Late applications are not accepted.
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Academy Nomination Interview Day
Required items for application submission:
- Office Application: Academy Nomination Application Available August 14, 2018
- Essay: *As instructed in the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation:
- High school students: Current Teachers (Math, Science, English, Languages, Arts, or Magnet Areas) JROTC, Civil Air Patrol, and Sports Coaches only.
- *College/Prep School students: Current professors (Math, Science, Engineering, Arts, English, Languages), ROTC and Coaches only.
- *Recommendation letters must be on official school or organization letterhead.
- Official high school transcript- Weighted and unweighted grade point average: (through junior year with courses in progress for senior year) and your class ranking.
- * College/Prep School students: Official high school transcripts and most recent college transcripts.
- Standardized ACT/SAT scores:
*Currently enlisted service members: Same requirements as noted above, with the most recent recommendation letters.